There are certain moments in life that have a way of getting buried into your memories, be it things that happened, strangers or close people, places or faces.. This is a train of thoughts I did not want to let pass by unnoticed..
– I was at a traffic light when it turned green and people started honking because the first car wouldn’t move. After some time, cars started passing and as I was up next to pass this first car, I drove a bit slow at first to make an annoyed face at the driver to scowl at him for not driving. When I got nearer, it was like the world stood still as I saw an old man with both hands on the wheel, his head bent forward down as if grieving or sad. I later found out, this man his heart had stopped when he was in the car, so he was dead and therefore didn’t move on. I did not know this person, but it had affected me so greatly, that even today, after 4 years, every time I pass that traffic light I remember that sad man who’s heart had stopped while waiting for the light to turn green..
– Last December I was visiting my brother abroad, when we went out for groceries for dinner that evening because our parents were on the way to the airport, to also arrive for a visit. My niece called my brother to tell him our grandmother passed away and my parents were going back home. When he uttered the words “Grandma has passed away” I felt a nudge in my stomach, in such disbelief, I turned to walk away, got out my phone to call my mother and heard her hysteric cry over the line. I dropped all from my hands and crashed in the middle of the mall, when it hit me. Hearing my mother was heartbreaking, thinking “I’m glad I still got to see my grandma 3 days ago”, yet the look in my brother’s eyes when he told me, they way they hung low and sad, is a look I will NEVER forget in my life. That sting of pain over that big of a loss..
– When I was little, there was a tall older man with long white hair who I kept seeing all over in my neighbourhood. My niece and I grew up as sisters, so she was in on it and we called him the scary white hair man. For months or even years, we always saw him outside the window, or few blocks away, and he always had a scary grin on his face. One Saturday, I was walking with my parents into town when I saw this man coming in our direction. I was frozen still and scared because i couldn’t tell my parents and my niece wasn’t there with me, when he passed us by and looked me dead in the eyes. After passing us, he didn’t continue yet instantly turned around and was now walking behind us. When I looked back, he was shuffling through a garbage bin so I wouldn’t think he was watching me. After that, I saw him once more after some months when I looked out the window and he was across the street and I was sure he was staring into our window. This was the last I saw of him and it was at least 15 years ago, yet I remember his face and grin so clearly. I am until today sure he was some kind of predator..
– When I was little, I loved taking the bike and going around our block on my own. Around the corner was a Chinese restaurant and the back door of the kitchen was always open, which had a weird smell coming out of it. One time, on my usual tour, the men from the kitchen were standing outside and as I came by, they started yelling something at me and made a move as if to come after me. I started panicking and kicked the pedals harder to get home, where I ran into my room and started crying. I never went on that tour with the bike again. I remember that peculiar smell until today and have smelled it once a few months back when suddenly I had a rush of fear. I’m 29 and that happened when I was around 8-9..
– It was a winter December day, when I was on my way to college to pick up my rapport card for the first semester. It was maybe 5 PM yet already so dark out. Around our corner, there was some section closed off for renovation and I had to pass there to get to school. I noticed a tall man standing by a tree, when he called out for me. I was about 3 m away from him when I made to walk over, thinking he was peeing, yet feeling sense of help as I thought he needed directions, when suddenly I froze because I saw his fly was open and he was holding his manpart in his hand. That’s when I realized he was asking me for help as he was masturbating. I was so shocked and turned immediately to walk away in fear, when he started cursing me out and yelled “come here bitch, just come help me a bit just a few minutes, come here now!”. With tears in my eyes, I actually ran to my school, then called my cousin to pick me up. I remember him being tall, bold, wearing all black with a long black raincoat..
To be continued..
Love, Shar – xo